Users increasingly give more importance to audiovisual content, something that companies must take into account when designing their marketing strategy. Fortunately, the most popular video platform out there and YouTube Cards have great potential for engagement.
In this article we will see how to take advantage of this awareness to capture leads on YouTube. Will you accompany me.
The necessary set-up before generating leads on YouTube
Setting up your channel: the first step
Just as if it were the opening of a new store or the launch of a new service for your company, the development of your YouTube channel is a necessary step.
Imagine how you want that first impression from users who had not heard of you before, think about how the channel is imagined by regular customers of the business or its followers in other networks.
Optimizing your channel to have everything ready to receive your viewers is a task that requires time and in which you must take into account a series of factors, such as the following:
- Channel name.
- Profile image and header.
- Featured video.
- Connection with international channels.
- Link to other social networks
In addition to these points, you should include a description in the “about” section. It is a very good opportunity to redirect traffic to your website because, yes, SEO also counts here.
On YouTube, keywords are important, both on the page and in the video itself . But there is still another aspect that surpasses keywords in relevance. It is about engagement, the variable that determines success in YouTube SEO .
When you optimize your channel remember that it is crucial to work, both on-page SEO and in-video SEO
Understanding the YouTube algorithm
Algorithms are not the exclusive domain of Google or data scientists. YouTube also has its own algorithm (which you can find in detail here ). If your next goal is to generate leads on YouTube, you need to understand what it consists of, something that can be summarized as:
- Videos are rated based on a variety of factors.
- Some of them are the suitability of the title, the completeness of the description or the correspondence between the audiovisual content offered and the user’s search criteria.
- Additionally, YouTube looks at which videos have generated the most engagement, also paying attention to whether it was easy for users to find them.
Let’s not forget that YouTube is part of Google. In fact, for its operation it uses Google Trends and Keyword Planner. This gives you one more clue to optimizing your channel: research Google trends as part of your YouTube keyword search, and you’ll have gained part of the way.
In any case, it may be a good idea to find a few minutes to read this article (it is one of the most comprehensive out there) about SEO on YouTube . In the recommended post all the necessary steps in the organic work of videos on YouTube are covered .
The definition of strategic objectives
Yes, before you can start generating leads on YouTube there is a lot to learn , although you are already one step closer to achieving it.
Surely you are already clear about what exactly you want to achieve from this social network, so what you can do is define what results you want to obtain with the publication of your video on this channel, to focus all the resources on your goal:
- Do you want to boost subscriptions to your channel?
- Do you want to increase the conversion rate to registration through content download?
- Are you interested in causing a redirect to a ticket sales website?
- Would you like the video to be the precursor to a business call?
YouTube Cards: your allies in lead generation
What are YouTube Cards?
YouTube Cards are preformatted notifications that are displayed on computers and mobile devices . You can configure them to promote your brand and the videos on your channel.
Types of YouTube Cards
If you want to generate leads with YouTube, it is important that you are clear that there are different types of cards:
- Channel cards . They allow you to link them to the channel you want to highlight for your viewers. For example, you can use a card to thank a channel that contributed to your video. You can also use a channel card to recommend another channel to viewers.
- Donation cards. Their objective is crowdfunding, since they allow you to promote this form of collective financing.
- Link cards. Using this type of YouTube Cards, you can create a link to partner websites, crowdfunding or merchandising sites.
- Survey cards. They allow you to interact with viewers through a poll that allows them to vote for different options.
- Cards for playlists or videos . They make it easy to link to another public YouTube video or playlist that your viewers might be interested in. You can also link them to a specific moment in a video.
How YouTube Cards work
Once the cards are set up, a small rectangle or teaser appears in the upper right corner of the video so your fans can see a preview or teaser of the message.
If viewers tap or click on it, the card linked to the video will appear on the right side of your video (or below the player if they are using a mobile that is upright).
Flashcards are very effective when combined with scripted calls to action or relevant to the video content.
For example, if you mention a video or product, the ideal is to add a card at that precise moment. They are very useful because they allow the viewer to click if they want to, and if they don’t, they just disappear.
You have to take into account two important aspects:
- You can include up to five cards per video.
- There may be cases where YouTube Cards are not displayed ; For example, if your video has a Content ID claim and the content owner has set up a campaign.
How to add YouTube Cards step by step
If you want YouTube Cards to add links to your landing pages and thus generate leads , before starting, you must take two aspects into account:
1. Your channel must be part of the YouTube Partner Program . To do this, you must meet the following requirements:
- Comply with YouTube’s monetization policies
- Access YouTube.
- In the top right, click your profile photo> YouTube Studio.
- In the menu on the left, click Monetization.
- If you still don’t meet the required threshold, click Notify me when I’m eligible to receive an email when you have 1,000 subscribers and 4,000 hours of playback in the last 12 months. Otherwise, click Get Started on the “See Partner Program Terms” card.
- When you accept them, we will mark this step as “Done” in green on the card.
- Live in a country or region where the YouTube Partner Program is available .
- Have more than 4,000 valid public watch hours in the last 12 months
- Have more than 1,000 subscribers
- Have a linked AdSense account
- On the “Sign up for Google AdSense” card, click Start.
- If you have an AdSense account, use the one that is already approved. You can link as many channels as you want to the same AdSense account.
- If you don’t have an AdSense account, follow the onscreen instructions to create one.
- When you have connected your AdSense account, we will mark this step as “Done” in green on the “Sign up for Google AdSense” card.
- Wait for the review. When you agree to the YouTube Partner Program Terms and connect an AdSense account, your channel will automatically enter a review queue. Our automated systems and manual reviewers will examine channel content to verify that it meets all of our guidelines. You can see the status of the application at any time at this link .
2. You also need to complete the verification of your associated website . To do this, simply add the website to your Google Account as an “associated website” so that you can link it from your videos.
- Access YouTube Studio.
- In the menu on the left, select “Settings”> “Channel”> “Advanced settings”.
- Under “Other channel setup options,” select “Advanced channel setup.”
- In the “Associated Website” section, enter the URL of your website and click “Add”. It will appear as “Pending”, unless you have verified it before.
- In the URL box, click “Verify” if you are the website owner, or “Request approval” if you need to request approval from the website owner (in this case, a notification will be sent to the site owner Web).
- After selecting “Verify”, you will be redirected to Google Search Console. Access with the same Google Account information that you use on your YouTube channel. If you’re not sure which account to use, you can check the details on YouTube.
- Select a method to verify ownership.
- Follow the instructions to add a site to Search Console. You may be asked to choose a verification method. The site will go through a verification process after you add it to Search Console.
Once verification is complete, the website status will change from “pending” to “correct” in the channel’s Advanced Settings and you can follow the steps below to add a card that will take viewers to any page on that site Web.
At this point, setting up YouTube Cards is a breeze . Follow these 7 easy steps:
- Access YouTube Studio.
- In the menu on the left, select “Videos.”
- Click on the video you want to edit.
- Click on the “Cards” box.
- Select “Add card.” Select “Create” next to the type of card you want to add.
- Customize the card and click “Create card”.
- You can adjust the card start time below the video.
- Changes are saved automatically.
And finally, don’t forget to measure your success. Check YouTube Analytics to see how YouTube Cards are performing and allow optimizations.
End screens: multiply your chances of success with YouTube Cards
The end screen is a very effective tool that allows you to direct viewers to the next content at the end of your videos and take them to other videos, playlists or YouTube channels; to invite them to subscribe to your channel; and to promote your websites, merchandising products and crowdfunding campaigns. Thanks to the End Screens you can extend the viewing time of your channel. This is a very important advantage if you want to generate leads with YouTube.
You can add the final screen in the last 5-20 seconds of the videos and it will appear, both on computers and mobile phones.
With the end screens you can promote a maximum of four items , although you should be aware that sometimes they may not appear. This can happen, for example, if background playback is activated. Also, the size and position of end screens depend on the dimensions of the screen. Therefore, do not physically point to a specific point on the screen.
Guidelines for getting the best out of End Screens on YouTube
- Use the end screens to promote up to four different items: a video or playlist, an invite for viewers to subscribe, a cross-promotion with another channel, and links to approved websites.
- Remember to leave enough space at the end of your videos to place the final screen elements.
- Card teasers and branding watermarks disappear when the final screen is displayed. Therefore, do not use these elements during the final screen if you use one in the video.
Take into account the fact of adding a frame that coexists with the elements of the screen at the end of the video.
Other good practices to boost conversion and generate leads on YouTube
There are other ways to increase the chances of generating leads on YouTube , such as adding the video description. You increase the effectiveness of this tactic by adding links to the top of the video description to guide the user to action.
It is also a good idea to network through this network , for example, through collaborations with other channels or managing the comments you receive through this channel. Do not forget to respond to the comments of the video, recommending the download of an ebook through a link to the landing page.
Embedding videos in articles or landing pages is another good practice that will help you use your videos to improve the time on page of your website. At the same time, you will see that conversion increases.
Lastly, consider turning to YouTube Ads. YouTube has a very powerful Pay-per-Click part and it can be very interesting to invest in these ads to complete your strategy.
Ultimately, YouTube Cads and End Screens have enormous potential. But the most important thing is to be very clear about the goal you want to achieve with your YouTube channel in order to focus its full potential on it.
Do you want to generate branding? It focuses all the calls to action that the tool offers to create community: subscription to the channel and other social networks.
Do you want to generate leads with YouTube? In this case, the links to your landing pages should predominate. Try to fully customize the type of content you offer in each of your videos to achieve the highest number of registrations. Tell me your results in the comment section!